Welcome screen does not appear when the DVR turns on for the first time
I do not see the welcome screen when I turn on my DVR for the first time.
Check to see that the cables are plugged in all the way.
Make sure the cables are connected to the OUT (Red) jack on the DVR and the IN (Red) jack on the television. If the cable is connected from OUT (Red) to OUT (Yellow) or IN (Yellow) to IN (Red), the display will not work.
The television needs to display the correct video source. Use the Input/Source/TV-Video button on the TV or remote to change the video source. If there are issues with changing the video source, consult with your TV manual.
Press the FORMAT button on the TV several times to cycle through the different formats of the TV.
The cables being used may be damaged. Try using cables you know work correctly.
If the TiVo indicator lights turn on but nothing is loading, this is most likely, this is due to a hard drive failure from your TiVo box. Follow this repair guide to replace it.
if the TiVo indicator lights do not turn on, this could be also due to a faulty component in your power supply. Follow this repair guide to replace it.
If all else does not work, this could be either due a faulty motherboard battery, or a faulty motherboard. Follow this repair guide to replace the motherboard battery, or follow this repair guide to replace the motherboard.
TiVo becoming too hot or making too much noise
My TiVo box is making a lot of noise and seems to be getting hotter.
More than likely, this is due to a faulty fan in your TiVo box. follow this repair guide to replace your fan.
TiVo remote does not work
I cannot change the channel or access the TiVo menu using my remote.
Other remote functions do not work
Once the TV is on, try changing the channel or pressing the menu button. Check to see if a red light appears at the top of the remote control when you press a button. This will indicate whether the batteries are dead or not.
If either of these do not work, your remote may need 2 new AA batteries.
Other remote functions work
If other remote functions work, your next step is to program your remote to recognize your TV.
- Go to Tivo Central by pressing the TiVo button on your remote control.
- Follow this sequence: Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Remote Control.
- Select Part 1: TV power, volume, and mute.
- Use the UP and DOWN arrows on the remote to choose your TV brand.
- Follow the instructions shown on the screen. Enter the code with your remote. If the first one does not work, enter the next code. Keep doing so until one of the codes works.
TiVo remote does not work well with the DVR
My TiVo remote works sporadically.
Slow response time
If the TiVo's response time is slow, but still working, there may be a problem with IR interference. TiVo remotes are known for having this problem. To fix it, take all other remotes out of the room and see if the problem is fixed. If not, there is probably a TV remote stuck in a couch with a button held down. Finding that remote should solve the problem.
If the TiVo shows no response, the first step is to check if your remote is working. If a red light appears at the top of the remote when you press a button, the remote should be working. If not, replace the 2 AA batteries and try again.
If the remote is working properly, but the TiVo box still has no response, the IR receiver in the faceplate of the TiVo box may be damaged. If it has been damaged, you may need to replace it.
Channel wont change
If you use cable without a cable box:
- Be sure that you are using the DVR's remote and that you hold it so that the TiVo button points toward the DVR
- Press any button on the remote. Does the red light above the TiVo button flash? If not, make sure batteries are positioned correctly in the remote. If they are correctly positioned, try a new set of batteries.
- If the red light does flash, does the green light on the front of the DVR change to yellow when you press any button on the remote? If it does not, restart your DVR by unplugging it for 15 seconds and then plugging it back in.
- You may not have the correct input selected on your TV. Use the "Input" or "Source" button on your TV remote and verify that you are on the correct input. If you are passing the signal through your VCR, you may need to select the correct input on the VCR as well.
TiVo DVR cannot connect to the TiVo service
My TiVo remote works sporadically.
If you set up TiVo box to connect to the TiVo service
- Make sure all power plugs are plugged in and that the indicator lights are on.
- Check all of your cables to make sure that they are all properly plugged in.
- Power-cycle your modem and router by unplugging in from the wall, counting to 10, and then plugging them back in. Wait 30-60 seconds for them both to fully restart.
- Check your internet connection using another device.
- After completing these steps, test your internet connection on your TiVo box and check your wireless adapter signal strength.
- After this, you may need to reconfigure your TiVo. You can do this through the settings menu on your box.
- Restart your TiVo and test the connection.
Satellite provider is not listed
I cannot locate my satellite provider on the TiVo menu.
NOTE: Satellite support is only available on TiVo Series1 and Series2 boxes
Satellite service through local phone company
If you receive satellite service through your local phone company, go into your settings and select "I'm not sure" when asked about your satellite provider. Follow the on-screen instructions provided. After the setup, you can change your program provider if necessary.
Unknown satellite service
If you live where satellite service is provided (i.e. a condo, school dorm, and military base), then you will need to restart the setup and select "cable" instead of "satellite." To restart, unplug your TiVo box for 10 seconds and then replug it. If you completed the setup with the wrong provider, you need to redo it. If your lineup is still not listed, contact TiVo Customer Support for a customized cable lineup.
Cable provider is not listed
I cannot locate my cable provider on the TiVo menu.
Known cable service provider
Cable companies often use different names due to a cable companies merging, or if a cable service is resold by another company. You can locate the current name of your cable provider by looking at a recent bill or by contacting TiVo Customer Support if a cable provider needs to be added to the lineup.
Unknown cable service provider
If you live where cable service is provided (i.e. a condo, school dorm, and military base), you may need a customized lineup created. Contact TiVo customer support so that your cable provider can be added to the lineup.
Accidentally changed channels with my...
I accidentally changed the channel and i can't get back to my TiVo channels.
Cable or satellite box's remote control
If you use your cable or satellite's box remote to change the channel, the TiVo service won't register that the channel has changed. If you accidentally change channels with another remote, press CHAN UP or CHAN DOWN on the DVR's remote once. The DVR will then be able to register the channel.
TV or VCR's remote control
If you use your TV or VCR's remote to change the channel, the TV will no longer display the video from the TiVo DVR. To return to viewing video from the TiVo DVR, return to the channel that your TV or VCR was tuned to. You may also need to press the "Input" or "Source" or "TV/Video" button on your TV's remote to change the input.