Replace hi res screen with normal res

My Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with hi res (1680 x 1050) just started showing a 1 pixel vertical line. Started intermittently, but now I see it all the time. External display does not show the line, nor does a screenshot of the desktop, so I think it is the lcd module.

I've looked for a replacement display assembly, or just the replacement LCD and both seem hard to find in the Hi Res version.

The Hi Res display assemblies that I have found are too beat up for my taste. The bare 1680 X 105 LCD's that I have found, I'm not convinced that they are the correct part, they seem really expensive, and would require a teardown of the display assembly - definitely less preferred.

So as it happens, I have a dead Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with the 'normal res' screen (1440 x 900) that was working fine until the logic board went out. Both machines are the 2.7GHz I7 processor, and as far as I can tell they are the same except for the displays.

I am wondering if this can just be swapped with the Hi Res. There is a similar question about upgrading from Low Res to Hi Res on this model, but I don't think there is an answer for going the other way.

Specific questions:

  1. Does anyone know of a current source of Hi Res display assemblies or LCDs?
  2. Are the display connectors the same? I will find this out when I open them both up side by side, but since one is my main work machine, I want to know as much as I can going in.
  3. Are there graphics card gotchas here? As I read the specs, they should be exactly the same graphics cards in each, so it seems like the display assemblies should be completely interchangeable

Thanks in advance everyone!

Beantwoord deze vraag Dit probleem heb ik ook

Is dit een goede vraag?

Score 1
Voeg een opmerking toe