Ga door naar hoofdinhoud

Hot iron plug dangerous?

My iron cord/plug heats up so hot, I can't touch it to unplug it.

I am afraid it has been suffering over the years from being unplugged after each use, so that may be a factor.

However I notice that if it is plugged directly in the wall socket in other rooms, it is not hot.

Normal? Dangerous?

Beantwoord deze vraag Dit probleem heb ik ook

Is dit een goede vraag?

Score 0
Voeg een opmerking toe

6 Antwoorden

Het nuttigste antwoord

Are you plugging it into an extension cord or directly into the wall?

If plugging into an extension cord, try plugging it directly into the wall outlet and see if it still gets hot, check your power cable and the wiring for the wall outlet.

Using extension cords for appliances that create heat is extremely dangerous - the appliance creates the heat by sending current through something with a high resistance. Which is what will happen when the power flows from the small gauge wire in the extension cord to the higher gauge wire in the iron's power cable!

Regardless - its extremely dangerous and can cause a fire. It needs to be addressed.

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 2
Voeg een opmerking toe

That is very dangerous. A potential fire hazard. An appliance that heats should be on as short a cord as possible. Two factors. The longer the cord the the more chance of a hot cord. One of the cords might be too small a gauge, causing too much resistance resulting in hot wire.

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 2
Voeg een opmerking toe

Agree with all that has been said. The most likely cause is that the cord had been removed in the past by pulling on the cord instead of the plug. This has probably cause breakage of wiring strands. You can find a replacement plug and cut off the existing one (naturally when not plugged in) a few inches back from the plug. Install the replacement and see if this fixed the issue. Do not continue to use it as it is now.

Ron

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 1
Voeg een opmerking toe

The iron is plugged into a heavy duty surge protector along with a lamp cord which is not even warm!

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 0
Voeg een opmerking toe

I think that pulling on the cord is the culprit..gotta break bad habits. Not taking chances and bought the same. Thanks to ALL

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 0
Voeg een opmerking toe

Clothes irons draw a lot of current. If you're experiencing this hot plug at only the one outlet, the outlet is bad. Chances are that the contacts in that outlet are not squeezing as tight around the iron plug prongs. If that's the case some arcing is taking place, causing the heat you're feeling on the plug. Fix? just replace that outlet with a NEW ONE.

Was dit antwoord nuttig?

Score 0
Voeg een opmerking toe

Voeg je antwoord toe

ccheryld zal eeuwig dankbaar zijn.
Weergavestatistieken:

Afgelopen 24 uren: 2

Afgelopen 7 dagen: 39

Afgelopen 30 dagen: 201

Altijd: 4,195