From pile of pieces to working system after a year
1 - 2 uren
Received YLOD after trying a new universal remote on my PS3. Looked up some YT videos about dismantling and tried a couple of times unsuccessfully. After a year of the system sitting in pieces on my floor, I finally bought an iFixit it.
Got motherboard isolated, removed old heating pads (which I did not know about before consulting the guide), applied the heat gun for reflowing the soldier and reassembled the system. Well, sorta. I didn't want to put every screw back in until I saw it come back on. So, I was completely shocked when the system beeped back to life. Then I put almost every screw back into place.
Triumph was short-lived when I discovered the BD drive didn't work. This also kept it from getting updated properly. So, I did some more research and modified the ribbon cable a bit to expose its leads better and plugged them into the logic board on the drive.
From here, everything else went smoothly and I have a working system again. However, I'm likely going to sell as I since bought another machine.
Also, I managed to crack the smallest phillips head bit because a screw was too tightly installed.
If you are going to tear down a gaming console, do it in one sitting and take a picture or otherwise note which screw goes in which hole. I'm fairly sure I didn't match them all up exactly.