Final Score: Dave-1 MacBook Air-0
I started losing audio intermittently about 60 days after my warranty ran out (of course!). After a few months of having the sound come back after rebooting, the audio was finally gone for good. Kaput. Silence, in this case, was not golden.
The estimate was 45 minutes, I finished in 44 so that was pretty accurate (that included about 5 minutes searching for one of the case screws I dropped...D'oh!)
I skipped Step 7 in the Guide (that was disconnecting the audio-out connector board from the HD bracket.)
Color coding the screws in the diagram was critical in keeping the bits and pieces organized. Everything went smoothly coming apart, and even more smoothly going back together.
When I booted my MBA and was greeted with the familiar Chime, I couldn't have been happier
I skipped Step 7 in the Guide (that was disconnecting the audio-out connector board from the HD bracket.) I was able to get the old cable off without disconnecting the audio-out cable...and mine seemed to be held on with more than adhesive.
Also, splurge on the spudger. I used a plastic knife but wish I would've paid the money on the spudger!