The battery life had dropped to less than an hour and my once mobile device had become permanently tethered to a power source. It was time to either fix this iPod or buy a new one. The replacement battery was a cheap enough gamble, I decided it would be fun to try.
Disassembly went pretty well until I realized I had put too much pressure on the LCD screen while removing the glass. After I had removed the inner workings from the case, I turned on the iPod and found a large dead spot in the top center of the screen. I continued to remove the battery and solder in the new one. I tested out the new battery; everything was working. So I got back onto iFixit and ordered a new screen. With the device already in pieces on my well documented magnetic project board, I was able to quickly replace the screen and put the device back together!
Expect some scratches on the back of the case near the camera cover (nothing too bad). I don't think the guide mentioned it, but have a lint free cloth for cleaning the glass and screen before reassembling. It would drive me nuts if I would have closed up the iPod and then found a fingerprint on my screen!