My son decided to go swimming in the pool for 5 minutes and the phone was dead. iFixit suggested cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and replacing the battery.
Cleaning went well. Opened the phone saw a few drops on the battery. Be careful opening the screen after removing the 2 screws near the jack, you will crack the glass a little if you put to much force prying it open. I suggest not to pry near the button area. After separating the screen from the phone, I dunked the board in alcohol for a while and wiped the display dry and cleaned with cloth saturated with alcohol. A week later when the new battery came, installed it without tape first and fired right up. I figured if it wouldn't start, I could still keep the new battery for a future repair. So, installed the tape strips and battery properly and it work again fine. The screen has some internal water damage, but it is negligible an not affecting function of the phone. I am not going to pay $115 for a new screen if we can upgrade in a few months anyway.
Water damage will short out the battery. A $50 fix is well worth it. Some compressed air would be nice to have during the cleaning process.