45 minuten - 2 uren
Dropped the dang thing, screen looked a bit like some cellophane that had been smashed into a ball and smoothed back together. Little chips of material were flaking off when I touched the screen.
Several problems, of my own making. First, this holiday season, I had ordered a tool set as a gift for a relative, but to do this iFixIt doesn't have a way to identify that the shipping address is a one off type of thing. When ordering my new screen, I didn't pay close attention to the shipping details, and you guessed it, the part was shipped to my relative and they had to forward it on to me.
First issue, no screwdriver in the set for the pentalobe screws, but I already had this. When I got the parts package, I opened it and everything fell out since it was upside down, Murphy's law, but there was no parts list identifying the tools, all I got was a green smudging tool, a Phillips head screwdriver, and a suction cup, so if something else was included or supposed to be, it must have bounced away. No tweezers, either, though the repair calls for one.
A note I saw posted about this repair helped, but it wasn't in the guide. Since my screen was broken up pretty much, I added a piece of mailing tape to the screen, and that allowed the suction cup to work, but I probably could have gotten by without the cup and just used the tape to pull off the screen from the base of the unit.
Next problem, the manual I used identifies the screws to be removed, but uses a color coding for them that doesn't match the color on the picture, so a 2.2 mm screw may be keyed orange and the 2.3 mm screw may be keyed as yellow, but on the photo one is brown and the other is green. Upon checking this again, I have found this was due to my saving the repair document to a .PDF file, on the web the colors were accurate and corresponded to each other.
Last bit of difficulty, I encountered a very difficult time understanding just how the microphone and camera assembly went back in, there are a lot of parts that fit inside and on top from that ribbon cable. A link to a little more detail on how they fit together would have saved me from having that flap with the microphone sticking out, and having to unscrew the cover and reseating everything once again but with the flap properly positioned. Other than that, it went smoothly.
Was operational as soon as I tested it. Perhaps it would be good to know what functionality should be verified to assure that the device was successfully repaired. I checked home button and ID capability, GPS, camera front and back, microphone and speaker. Also verified WiFi, but haven't checked Bluetooth yet, and of course verified the touch screen.
All in all, a smooth job but attention to detail is essential.