25 minuten - 1 uur
The microphone on the wifes iPhone quit working. I ordered a new dock and went thru the process of replacing it and it was marginally better, but still sounded like she was talking underwater. I used compressed air and blew out the screen on the bottom that the microphone lives behind and it restored complete function. Not saying this is always the problem, but something to double check first.
Not too bad, pretty in depth and getting difficult for these old eyes and hands (58). Took me longer than estimated, but I did misplace a screw into the wrong container (I had separate cups for parts from each step) and that took a bit to sort out. Wonder why Apple decides screws should be 1.2mm, 1.3mm and 1.5mm, most of which two different lengths are used to attach one part... dumb on their part.
A couple of tips, in step 10, peeling back the dock connector cable took the metal cover on the logic board with it, maybe a tip to hold it down as you peel back the adhesive. Step 16 and 17, I figured out that the retaining flap is on the black socket and not the dock itself, the picture of the plastic opening tool is a bit confusing as to exactly what part you are going after. The ribbon cable, it pulls out sideways from a slot, that wasn't exactly clear, and I wasn't sure from the pics and such if it laid in on top or what. Last tip, when putting the new dock connector back in, the ribbon that connects the speaker has enough play to stick the speaker down offset to the tube that the rubber sleeve slides into, making it difficult to get the rubber sleeve back into the tube. So before you really stick the adhesive down, make sure the position is good.