Display Repair a great success!
30 minuten - 1 uur
I dropped my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 during what I assume to be a drunken rampage, since I don't recall how the damage came to be. I assume either my foolish self (or dirty hippie friends) threw my then 4 month-old gorgeous aluminum baby onto the floor and/or wall in a fit of disgust, leaving the bottom righthand corner slightly bent. When I awoke the next day, the colours popping out of my Retina display were slightly brighter from that corner. On a black background, it was apparent that the aluminum casing was pressing on the back of the LCD display. Being the smart man I am, I decided to try and bend it back. I thought it worked until I turned on MBP and saw that the LCD display had cracked into some absolutely lovely lines of dead pixels running up and across from the corner.
The repair went pretty well overall. Took around an hour and a half for me, but the display assembly repair probably would have taken 30 minutes if it wasn't for two issues:
1) The T8 screwdriver iFixit sent me didn't work. The metal screwdriver tip was not securely glued into the plastic handle, so I was lucky I had a backup set of Torx drivers.
2) One of the display hinges on the replacement display assembly was slightly bent. I didn't notice it at first when I first installed it, but after closing the lid, it was apparent that the new display did not sit flush with the body of the MBP, having being skewed off a couple of millimetres to one side. My fix for this was having pliers and applying slight pressure onto the hinge to straighten it out. After a couple of rounds of bending the hinge straight, the new display fit on flush and snug, just like new.
1. Please check that all your tools are working, and you have access to pliers in case you get a bent display hinge.
2. To check to see if the hinge is bent, look down the length of the metal display hinge rod and see if it is flush & parallel with the outer edge of the display assembly. Compare with your existing display hinge for help. The one I received was slightly off center by a couple of degrees, meaning I had to use pliers to slightly bend it back straight in line with the edge. Be gentle and double check constantly!
3. Don't allow your dirty hippie friends near your MBP whilst drinking. Don't try to be a hero and bend an aluminum display back yourself. And get a case I guess.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014) Display Assembly
TR8 Torx Security Screwdriver
T5 Torx Screwdriver
P5 Pentalobe Screwdriver Retina MacBook Pro and Air