If I don't use my laptop, will water damage corrode it slowly?
I just got my new Macbook Air around 4 months ago. So I'm pretty sad about my carelessness.
I spilled around 6 ounces of filtered water on my laptop right on the keyboard and hinge while it was running (not plugged in). Basically as soon as the water hit the laptop, it turned off.
I put it in rice and after 48 hours I turned it on and it works perfectly fine from what I can tell except the battery. The battery reads "Repair now" and the laptop doesn't work when not plugged in.
I brought it in to the Apple store with little hope that they would fix it. When they ran their MRI diagnostic test on it, the battery was the only part that returned a negative result. And one sensor that the Apple employee said was related to the battery.
When they went to replace the battery they said there was liquid residue on the logic board, the battery, and the top case and that I would have to replace them all for 750+ dollars.
I asked him if they could just replace the battery since it seemed like that was the only actually damaged part. He said that in liquid damage cases they replace everything in case the other parts are damaged and cause the battery to short.
I asked him what liquid residue looks like. He said corrosion. The reason I asked was because I was curious if for my laptop it was actually being corroded or if there were just mineral deposits left over after the water dried.
I also asked him if he cleaned out the water that was left in the body if any and he said yes, and they also cleaned out any rice they found in it.
I have several questions but my main one is:
I want to crack open the back and see the damage for myself. I feel like I might be able to just replace the battery and clean the rest with isopropyl alcohol. But I don't have time right now (exam season) but I will in about a week.
If I leave it as is, will it continue to erode? (The Apple guy said that they cleaned out the rest of the water, so I'm just wondering if the mineral deposits or existing corrosion will continue damaging the machine).
My other questions are:
- Since it immediately turned off when the water hit it, is it likely that only the battery is damaged?
- Will I be able to tell if it's just mineral deposits or actual corrosion? Or will it for sure just be corrosion?
- If I replace the battery only, will that be fine? Or is what the Apple employee said true--that I have to replace everything in case they cause the battery to short?
- Invest in a water bottle designed for the clumsy (one that requires you to suck out the water).
- Order the right screwdriver to open my mba up.
- Check out the damage. Google a bunch / search ifixit to help diagnose what corrosion looks like.
- Clean corrosion with isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry
- Put all the parts back into the laptop.
- Run computer to see if it works as it did before I cleaned it.
- Order battery and replace the battery.
Thanks a bunch!
Is dit een goede vraag?