Ga door naar hoofdinhoud
Help

Origineel bericht door: Karl Riemer ,

Tekst:

Simple: sap is almost entirely water so rinse it off. If water doesn't work, perhaps you mean pine ''resin''.

Depending on how hard it's gotten, resin dissolves in a wide range of organic solvents, a few of which won't stink for weeks. If you use lipids, which sort of work, you then have to remove the remover, which is no small task. (And if you try butter, don't sleep in that jacket in bear country!) The first thing to try is thoroughly freezing the jacket, as cold as possible, then carefully scraping and flaking off whatever you can. Then try heating the jacket (not oven hot, closed-car-on-a-sunny-day hot) and daubing with dry cloth. Finally, what's left has to be removed with solvent, probably the fastest and among the safest of which is acetone. Work outdoors, wear rubber (not nitrile) gloves, hold your breath and put out that pipe! Nail polish remover is dilute acetone but usually also contains oils and other additives you don't want in your fabric. Acetone is almost too fast; you have to work small areas at a time to be sure the dissolved resin is drawn up into your rags instead of spreading through the fabric. It will also dissolve some plastics and dyes. The obvious solvent is turpentine, the native solvent of pine resin, but even if you like the smell you'll never get it out of your jacket. Turpentine leaves residue when it evaporates. That residue is very like the resin you're trying to get out, so you're basically spreading the spots. The same is true of WD-40 and similar oily solvents: they leave goo. Aggressive solvents like carburetor cleaner (which is mostly acetone), shot from pressurized cans through a straw, can be applied surgically. If you have access to the back of uncoated fabric, it's sometimes possible to blow contaminants away rather than sop them up.

Status:

open